Apr 7, 2012

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: Double Comparatives

I believe I was lucky enough to find such a pertinent segment to practice double comparatives, a grammar point we often have to teach, but I had never managed to find the right scene. The movie is sensational! I strongly recommend it.




GRAMMAR TIP:


Double comparatives are used to describe a cause-and-effect process. Remember: When BE is used in double comparatives, it is often omitted.


A. Before watching the segment, match the cause with its effect.



1. We ask the machine to make more food.


2. The machine emits more radiation.


3. We make bigger food.





( ) These molecules could over-mutate more.


( ) The food is better.


( ) The machine takes more clouds




B. Now connect both sentences, using double comparatives. Make all the necesary changes to make it correct. There are more than only one possible answers.



1. __________________


2. __________________


3. __________________




C. Now watch the segment and check your answers:






WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS

Answer key:

A. 2, 3 ,1


B.


1. The more we ask the machine to make, the more clouds the machine takes in


2. The more radiation it emits, the more these molecules could over-mutate.


3. The bigger, the better

2 comments:

IRosío Brondo said...

Claudio,
I went to your presentation at the TESOL convention in Philadelphia... I loved it, and today I wished to explore your blog, but I just can´t see the segments of the movies and can´t open the worksheet file... advice please!!! May you keep on being so creative!!!

Rosío from Mexico

Claudio Azevedo said...

Dear Rosio,
Thanks for your words, but I do not know what might be happening. Have you tried a different Browser - Firefox, Explorer, googlechrome? Maybe it is your current browser version. I'm sorry, I really don't know what the matter could be.