Sep 25, 2014

Gravity: So x So That


This is an amazing movie. Absolutely innovative and gripping. I truly recommend it.
Books suggest that we should not interchange "so" and "so that". "So" means "therefore", and "so that" means "in order that". Every occurrence of "so that" can be replaced with "so" without losing meanings, but not vice versa. "So that" means "with the result that", "with the aim that", "in order that". "So" is making a conclusion, it is like you know already, or that something "can happen," according to your sentence; it is like the future predicted already.


I. Discuss the questions with a friend:

1. Have you ever wanted to be an astronaut? Why (not)?

2. What moves people who want to go outer space?

3. Would you like to go on a space trip? Why (not)?

4. What makes people want to risk their lives by traveling into space?


II. Complete the sentences with so or so that. When both are possible, use so.


1. Dr. Stone was warned about the telecommunications blackout ______________ she would not be surprised by that event.

2. She wanted to return to Explorer _______________ debris would not hit her.

3. The craft was severely damaged by the debris, ________________ she lost complete control of her movements.

4. Dr. Stone finally detached her suit, ______________ she was thrown into the space void.

5. She couldn't see anything, ________________ she did not manage to  provide any information of her coordinates.

6. She calmed herself down _______________ she could find the visuals and provide the coordinates.







Answer Key:

1. so that
2. so that
3. so
4. so
5. so
6. so that

WORKSHEET

MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - GRAVITY

5 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all I'd like to say that I love your blog. I use it all the time and I'd like to make a suggestion. You should upload your worksheet into .pdf, that way, no one can edit it. I always tell the source for my students and invite them to go into the blog, but I know some people don't like telling their sources. Anyway, thanks again for the amazing ideas.

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks for your concern. I think that providing the worksheets in PDF limits the teacher, because they have students with different levels, ages, group sizes, vocabulary range, and it is important to personalize the exercises. I wish everyone were like you, crediting the source, but I know this is utopic. I would rather share and help many teachers despite the egoism of few. My main goal is sharing, and I capitalize in other ways - giving courses, presenting in seminars, publishing materials, etc. Thanks for the suggestion, many people have asked/suggested that, but I prefer to keep on helping as many teachers as I can in the way it should be done - personalizing our classes. See you, and come back often.

Unknown said...

Nice way of thinking. :)

Keep the good work.

Ana

Anonymous said...

Hello, Could you give a suggestion of a movie segment to work with Past Simple of the Verb To Be? (with elementary level: students of 12 years old) Thanks.

Claudio Azevedo said...

I have not developed anything for that grammar point. This is a great suggestion. I will certainly think about something, but I honestly don't have anything in mind now. Thanks.