Video Link at youtube
Present Perfect and Present Perfect Continuous
The Truman Show
A. Read and discuss the questions below.
1. Have you ever watched a reality TV show? If yes, which one or ones.
2. What do you think of reality TV? Please explain.
3. Why do you think reality TV is so popular these days?
4. Would you ever go on a reality TV show? Why?
B. Watch the clip and complete the blanks using either present perfect or present perfect
continuous. If either is possible, make a choice and explain your reasoning.
1. They _________ (get) about 5,000 camera in the town.
2. Truman __________ (live) in a fake world since he was a baby.
3. He wonders whether his whole life ________ (building) towards something.
4. Truman ____________ (want) to be an explorer since he was a child.
5. Recently, strange things ______________ (happen).
6. His best friend __________ (know) him since he was seven years old.
7. The producer of the show believes he _______ (give) Truman the chance to live a normal
C. The Truman Show is an extreme example of reality TV, especially since he had no awareness or
choice in the matter. Usually during a reality TV show, the contestants are interviewed as to what
has been happening and what they have been doing.
In pairs, talk about what you have been doing recently. Do not use specific time phrases such as
‘yesterday’ or ‘on Tuesday’ for which you must use the simple past. Instead use general time phrases
such as ‘recently, lately, this week, already, just etc.’
Consider whether you are talking about a result or permanent state (present perfect), or a duration
or temporary state (present perfect continuous). Remember, non-continuous verbs cannot be used in
present perfect continuous. You must use the simple present perfect.
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE TRUMAN SHOW