Sep 30, 2015

Frozen: Vocabulary Practice



This vocabulary activity based on the monster hit "Let It Go" was provided by a reader from Peru, Margarita Jara de La Roca. Thanks Margarita for your contribution. I hope you all like it.



I studied at Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos.  I got a title as an English/Spanish Teacher.  I worked as an English Teacher in two institutions, the first one was at La Alegría en el Señor as a voluntary teacher. This private school characterizes of providing specialized teaching to children who have physical handicap but not mental.  It was a nice experience working there.  I also worked for a short time at SENATI, an institute who prepares young fellows to be technicians.  I have also worked as freelance teacher and translator.  I love the children and enjoy teaching.  For this reason, in spite that I am not teaching at any institution, I invite children of my neighborhood by the end of the year to teach them Christmas carols and some handcraft to celebrate Christmas together.

At present I am a Perú TESOL member and, I am also a member of the Fellowship women at Union Church.

I like technology, although I am not an expert, when I saw Claudio Azevedo's blog, I wanted to produce something similar.  It was exciting to do it and I felt very pleased after it.

My name is Margarita Jara de la Roca.  I am Peruvian and live in Lima, Perú. Here is a link to my blog - English Support









SOME QUOTES FOR THIS VIDEO


LOVE IS PUTTING SOMEONE ELSE’S NEEDS BEFORE YOURS.
     
HI, I’M OLAF AND I LIKE
WARM HUGS

I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED THE IDEA OF SUMMER AND ALL THINGS HOT

WINTER IS A GOOD TIME
TO STAY IN AND CUDDLE


LET IT GO – Idina Menzel

Lyrics:

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen.
A kingdom of isolation,
and it looks like I'm the Queen
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in; heaven knows I tried

Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well now they know

LET IT GO, LET IT GO
Can't hold it back anymore
LET IT GO, LET IT GO

Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
let the storm rage on.
The cold never bothered me anyway

It's funny how some distance
makes everything seem small
and the fears that once controlled me
can't get to me at all

It's time to see what I can do
to test the limits and break through
no right, no wrong, no rules for me,
I'm free!

LET IT GO, LET IT GO
I’m one with the wind and sky
LET IT GO, LET IT GO
You'll never see me cry
here I stand and here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back, the past is in the past

LET IT GO, LET IT GO
and I'll rise like the break of dawn
LET IT GO, LET IT GO
that perfect girl is gone
Here I stand
in the light of day
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway!


Vocabulary

Glow (v) – to produce a continuous light
Howling (adj.) – to be very successful
Swirl (v) - to move quickly with a circular movement
Conceal (v) - to prevent ST from being seen or discovered
Rage (n) – extreme or violent anger
Funny (adj) – humorous, causing laughter
Break through (ph v) to force yourself through ST that is holding you back
Flurry (v) – (of snow) to fall or be blown in a flurry
Fractal (n) – a geometric figure
Blast (n) – (event) an exciting or enjoyable experience or event, often a party
Break of dawn (n) – the early part of the morning when the sun first appears

Antonyms
Conceal ≠ Show
Rage ≠ Joy
Funny ≠ Serious
Synonyms
Glow = radiate, flush
Howling = wonderful, fantastic
Blast = clap, boom, good time


Make a sentence with the following words

am queen I looks It like the

……………………………….

of like will the dawn I break rise

……………………………….

me anyway cold bothered The never

……………………………….

Fill in the blanks with the following words

 

   limits   time  cry  small   rules   funny   fears   right  
 

It's ………… how some distance makes everything seem ………… and the ………… that once controlled me
can't get to me at all. It's ………… to see what I can do
to test the ………… and break through no …………., no wrong, no ………… for me, I'm free!
Let it go, let it go. I’m one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go. You'll never see me …………
Here I stand and here I'll stay, let the storm rage on

1 comment: