May 15, 2016
The Shining, The Miniseries: Quantifiers and Articles with Count x Non-Count Nouns
I. Work in small groups. Describe your house kitchen. Think of appliances, food, decoration, everything you can remember:
II. Make a guess of all the kitchen utensils and food the Overview Hotel has for the housekeepers. It is a very isolated hotel, which is unreachable during the winter time. Use the quantifiers below. You may also leave the spaces blank as well. YOU MAY REPEAT YOUR ANSWERS
A - AN - (NOTHING) - THREE - TWO - SIXTEEN - ONE HUNDRED TWENTY -
1. There are ________________ smaller freezers, _____________________ stoves, _______________ pantry back there and ________________ vegetable bin.
2. There is _____________ cellar behind the trap door full of potatoes, __________ meal slicer, and _____________ food processor.
3. You got _____________ sinks over there. There are also _____________ dishwashers.
___________________ of hamburger
___________________ of red eye chili.
___________________ legs of lamb
III. Watch the segment and check your answers:
1. Would you like to spend five months locked in that wonderful hotel for a good sum of money? Why (not)?
2. What are the greatest difficulties they will face?
3. In your opinion, who is the right person to do such a job?
There are three smaller freezers
You got three stoves
There is a pantry back there
A vegetable bin
A cellar behind the trap door full of potatoes
A meal slicer
A food processor
You got sinks over there
There are two dishwashers
120 pounds of hamburger
Sixteen gallons of red eye chili
Three legs of lamb
Bacon, pork, halibut, peas, corn