Apr 14, 2012

Dear John: Passive Voice with Simple Present, Simple Past and Present Perfect

This is an effective tearjerker which I liked a lot. This scene is full of passive voice structures, perfect for review on passive voice with mixed verb tenses.

A. Read the script of the first scene from the movie Dear John. The paragraph is in the passive voice. either the simple present tense, simple past or the present perfect tenses. Fill in the blanks with the passive voice of the given verbs. Decide which of the two tenses you will use, depending on the context.



Glossary:

punch out: hit someone or something hard and repeatedly

rim: to be round or along the edge of something

bevel: to give something a sloping edge

stamp: to make a mark

mint: to produce something new





1. I’m eight years old again, on a tour of the US Mint, listening to the guide explain how coins ______________ (make). How they _______________ (punch out) of sheet metal. How they ______________ (rim) and ______________ (bevel). How they _________ (stamp)and __________ (clean). And then how each and every coin _________ (personally / examine) just in case one has slipped through with the slightest imperfection.



2. I am a coin in the United States Army. I __________ (mint) in the year 1980. I ____________ (punch out) from sheet metal, I __________ (stamp) and ___________ (clean), my edges _____________ (rim) and _______________ (bevel).


B. Watch the movie segment and check your answers.








WORKSHEET


MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - DEAR JOHN


Answer key:


1. are made/ are punched out/ are rimmed and beveled/ are stamped and cleaned/ is personally examined

2. was mint/ have been punched out/ have been stamped and cleaned/ have been rimmed and beveled
A peer of mine said that he had used a slides presentation with links to my passive voice activities. I was sent the link and came across this really cool and thorough class on passive voice. I'm glad Simon Friend used my blog for his video activities. His slides are effective, fun and constructive. Thanks Simon Friend for these really cool slides. Thanks for linking my site to it.


6 comments:

Saucy Siciliana said...

I just discovered your blog, I like it. I am following you and so is my daughter hungrycaramella.blogspot.com

Hello from Rome!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Thanks. Come around often. See you!

Mandala said...

Claudio your blog is amazing!
It has been a great help for my homework. I've just got a problem with this video is there any other way in which i can download it?

Greetings from Mexico!

Claudio Azevedo said...

There shouldn't be a problem to download the segment from the link provided in the end of the post. The videos are in my wiki and it should be easy to download because you don't need any special software for that. Let me know what the matter is, please.

Unknown said...

Olá amigo, obrigado por responder ao meu pedido anterior colocando um link para baixar o vídeo que pedi. Agradecido.
Se não é muito incomodar :) venho a lhe pedir um grande favor e liberar o link pra baixar os seguintes vídeos:
"Dean Jonh Passive Voice, Simple Presente, Simple Past, Presente Perfect" e o "Surrogates, Passive Voice With Future", pois tente baixa-los através de um link que você disponibiliza na página, baixa um arquivo mas não é um arquivo de vídeo, e o outro não baixa nada, o link deve ta com algum problema, poderia olhar isso amigo? te agradeço muito. Abraços!

Claudio Azevedo said...

Os links foram adicionados. Confira no final de cada uma das duas postagens. Abraço.